Collections


The collection of the Turaida Museum Reserve has been developed since 1949 when the Sigulda Local History Museum was established. With development of museum`s activity, on the basis of the Local History Musuem, in 1988, there was established the Turaida Museum Reserve which encompasses the rich natural, tangible and intangible cultural heritage of the historical centre of Turaida created over the course of the past millennium. The objects of museum`s collection have been purposefully acquired within frame of certain themes or for supplementation of collection. In the beginning of 2012 the museum`s collection had 82 287 units.

 The acquisitions have been made in different ways:

  • during research expeditions in neighbouring regions, thus obtaining a wide choice of ethnographic objects which characterize rural life in the 19th and 20th century;
  • obtained as artefacts during archaeological excavations;
  • as a result of puposeful purchases for new exhibitions and expansion of the collection;
  • received as donations from private persons or organizations.

One of the most significant collections of the museum is archaeological collection based on the artefacts, obtained during archaeological excavations in the Turaida stone castle, which bring a unique evidence of the castle`s history. The archeological collection comprises also materials which have been obtained during research work in the former Turaida and Sigulda castle district areas and provide evidence for the period of time until the 17th and 18th century. A part of this collection is displayed in the museum`s exhibitions which are related to the history of the Turaida stone castle and Gauja Livs.

Museum has a wide-ranging collection of documents. A significant part of it discloses the relations between the Turaida estate and subjected to it peasants. Information about the history of Lēdurga-Turaida congregation from 1914 – 1958 can be find in the church registers.

In the museum`s book collection there is a rare object –  a book issued by Nicolaus Mollin in 1593 „The renewed rules issed  by Rīga Town Council against luxury of garments and other things.” The rich collection includes both – the local press issues of the beginning of the 20th century and postcards  which provide a graphic evidence about historical events.